We have just reviewed the 23 Sep 10 Strategic Plan for the Next Generation Training for the Department of Defense. The training solutions which were described leverage the core capabilities of the Cognitive Performance Group (CPG) in several ways. We bring an in-depth understanding of the warfighting domain from the perspective of the decision maker. Our recent work to develop and validate an expert model of the Combat Hunter, our cognitively authentic designs for the mixed reality training cases used for the Future Immersive Training Environment, and our work that supports the development of the interagency management system all support the Strategy. The nature of full spectrum warfare is one that requires small units to interact with complex, interactive ecologies. Training solutions must accelerate the acquisition and sustainment of key cognitive skills that can be transferred to new regional contexts. Using Cognitive Task Analysis (CTA) our CPG team has the pedigree to contribute to several of the revolutionary advancements that have been directed.
- Knowledge and understanding of full spectrum operations on a global stage [DTT, Cross-Cultural Competence]
- Coalition warfare and the necessities to blend cultures to achieve synergy [CCSA, DTT]
- Hands-on experience with interagency and Whole of Government approaches to transition to stability, support and reconstruction operations [JTF ITS, Interagency Management Training System]
- Geographically unconstrained training [FITE, DTT-IMT]
- Synchronize new operational capabilities that rapidly incorporate new TTPs and lessons learned [HSOC-T, FITE]
- Maintain competency while fighting a complex, adaptive, elusive adversary [Cyberwar, CCSA, FITE]
CPG remains a thought leader and a proponent of small unit training solutions that emphasize cognitive skills development. These skills empower small unit leaders to take the initiative, decide and act in survival situations, which include kinetic and non-kinetic contexts. Our decision research and study of issue- and knowledge-management provide unmatched understanding of the combat operations at the edge of chaos and other survival situations.
For more information, please see the Strategic Plan for the Next Generation of Training for the Department of Defense.